Saturday, December 20, 2008

Out of my cave

It's been months since I've posted. I got hit with hand problems with Carpal Tunnel like symptoms which severely limited my on-line time. I also had a book due in November. Writing when it hurts to type is no fun. But I finally got it finished after getting an extra couple of weeks. The revisions have now been done and accepted and I don't have another book due until June. So yay!

Homeschooling has been going great! We love it and plan to continue on next year. My lessons learned so far:

1) Organization - I need to be much more organized. I met another homeschooling mom when we went to see The Wizard of Oz last week who turned me onto this website which has a free web-based lesson planner. I'm going to use this for winter quarter and have already started filling it in.

2) Overscheduling - I was too worried about the kids need for socialization and overscheduled us in September and October to the point none of us were happy. Less having to go out each and every week is definitely better. I'm not talking field trips, but things like a co-op with enrichment classes. Lesson learned!

3) Change is good! - The kids didn't like Prima Latina. I hesitated but finally bought Lively Latin. What a change! They love latin now. I am still using Prima Latina to teach the prayers though. I also added IEW's Poetry Memorization and it's been a wonderful addition to our day.

4) Science woes - With my deadline, the one thing that got dropped was science. We did two weeks of RSK4 Chemistry and that was it. We're going to get caught up over Christmas with a science intensive couple of weeks.

5) Math woes - The older two hate Saxon. They are up to lesson 70ish and right now the plan it to get through the entire text. I bought Life of Fred Fractions for my oldest to supplement. She's enjoying that. I know I won't be putting her into Saxon 87 now and need to research Pre-Algebra programs.

No comments: