Sunday, March 16, 2008

Getting excited!

It's been awhile since I posted, but I've been busy making plans for next year. We made the decision to homeschool. It wasn't one thing in particular, but a whole lot of little things that led us to the "We're doing it!" moment. The lambs had a big part of it. All three were so excited by the thought of homeschooling. That seemed like half the battle right there!

So since my last post, I've been trying to figure out what I want to do next year and scouring the forum boards for information and used materials on the things I have decided on. What are those?

1) I want to continue with Saxon Math since the kids use that at school and like it. I want to study history chronologically in four years cycles per the Well-Trained Mind book I read years ago.

2) I also want our science to follow the same four year cycle so next year we'll be studying life sciences: animals, human body and plants.

3) I want to school year around to keep the kids' retention level.

4) I want Latin to be an important part of our curriculum. I'm waiting for the new revised edition of the Latin Centered Curriculum by Andrew Campbell to come out, but until then I'm gleaming what I can from boards, loops and websites!

I found Prima Latina w/DVDs for sale on the Well-Trained Mind for sale board. It was a great price so I bought it. I ordered an extra workbook from Beth's Bookstore. A week ago we started Latin! We listen to the CD in the minivan while we drive around. We watched the second lesson this weekend. So far so good!

I started with Rose's syllabus since I figured Kindergarten would be easier to figure out than 3rd or 5th grade. I'm almost done with what I want to cover over the year. I actually had a lot of the items already! But I do have a few more things I need to buy. Fingers crossed for a tax refund!

2 comments:

A family of boys said...

Hi!
I followed your link from the WTM board. How exciting to be starting down this path. I'll have a preschooler, 1st and 3rd. Although we pretty much know everything we'll be using, I still enjoy the curriculum "hunt."

Oh and I'm in the northwest also!

MommaEwe said...

Thanks for stopping by! I have so much to learn still. I don't know what I'd do without the WTM boards!